Saturday, November 21, 2009

THE 5K is COMPLETE!!!!!!!!!

Before I start with the race, let me back up...Bri had to go into work at midnight last night to tear down a huge production stage from a play and get ready for a big conference at 7:30 this AM. He headed to bed at 7:45 last night in the hopes of getting a few hours of sleep. Thank GOD for our children who cry and fuss in their sleep because at 11:43 PM, Amara fussed, Brian shot out of bed and realized he forgot to turn on his alarm. He went tearing out the door. Less than 2 hours later he was home ( awesome since he thought he wouldn't be home til 4AM) but then couldn't sleep. I checked on him numerous times but finally left him alone sitting in the chair after 3 this morning.

We were up at 6:30 and lo and behold, our freaking children decided to sleep in! Yup, we had to wake them up at 7:15! Why couldn't they do this every Saturday! We needed to get everyone dressed,fed, and out the door by 7:45. Of course, Alaric has a monster poop that went through all layers of jammies and his bedding so again, a little wrinkle in our morning.

Shockingly enough, we were still out the door in time and entered Lake of Woods early, along with hundreds of other runners. I couldn't believe all these crazy ass people who also comitted to running this race, even if there had been snow on the ground.

Brian and I were anxious. We were ready to go. We couldn't wait for my parents to arrive, to take our kids so we could stretch and focus!

Well, Grammy and papa arrives and they were ready to take over so we could get ready for the race but as soon as we were done taking these super cute pictures....
...Al realized we were leaving him and he started screaming. He wanted me, he didn't want us to leave him, he wanted to race with us, he didn't want Grammy and Papa. The racers were lining up, the chick was on the bullhorn giving instructions, the National Anthem was playing on a cheesy recording....Brian told me to walk away and we did. As the race began at the bottom of the hill and Brian and I kissed and told each other we loved each other....I could hear my son screaming ( I'm not exaggerating)
We ran! Brian took off! And that first hill that made me want to quit on our practice run last week was no problem. I found myself in a pack of mostly 2nd graders who I had to continously tell them when their shoes were untied, " Honey, your shoe is untied! Step off to the side and tie it!" I 'm such a mom!
I've been told that once you set your pace, you kinda stay with a small group of people and it was true. I found myself setting goals like, " I just want to beat that chick with the wiggly butt" or "I want to catch that guy and his wife in the John Deere hat". I stayed focused, tried to control my breathing, and just ran!

Back at base, Grammy and Papa were surviving. Once they convinced Alaric to get into the stroller to watch the runners, her was fine and at one of my turns on to the bridge, I was actually able to hear their shouts. Grammy and Alaric were screaming "MOMMY!!! MOMMY!!" and as I passed them and gave the I love you sign- Alaric yelled, "RUN MOMMY!!!!" So, I did!
They had to change the course some yesterday because of the intense rains we've had. Some of the paths are under water. We ended up looping back around which allowed us to pass the other runners. Those crazy ass runners in the shorts and tanktops in 30 degree weather were, of course, the first to pass and they were on fire. I bet they did the 5K in 17 or 18 minutes. I kept looking for Bri. I know he's no big runner but he's fast and he focused and he's determined. And just as the path was splitting into two and I was headed another way, I saw Bri- running like crazy- I yelled his name, he said "I love you!" and we kept running!
Some people had coaches with them- others ran in groups- many had spectators along the way. I listened to what they were saying. "Listen to your body-don't forget to breath-you can do it-you have a great pace!" and when other people screamed, " Go Susan, Go Mark!" I changed it in my mind and heard, "Go Katie-you can do it!"
I found today to be easier than the course was last week. maybe it wasn't that windy. Maybe it was the adrenaline, maybe it was the 100s of people and the countless BEHIND me that made me push on.
I looked down at my watch once and saw that it was 23 minutes and wondered how Bri was doing. 23 minutes was his goal. To think he might actually be finishing right now and I was just past the 2 mile mark.
Grammy, Papa, and the kids were waiting at the finish line anxiously looking for everyone in an orange shirt. And there he was! That little orange guy behind the other orange guy- that's Brian coming in for a finish!
Fast and Focused the whole way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RUN BABY RUN!!!!!!!
He finished the race in 23 minutes 17 seconds!!!!!!!! Look at our precious babies cheering him on! Grammy even brought a pom pom for sissy! They were so proud of him too!
Now it was my turn to get to that finish line. Brian challenged me to do in 32 minutes and I laughed at him. "It's not about the time for me, its about not stopping and just finishing!!!" I told him!
But when the timer said I was 29 minutes and the finish line was only a few hundred yards away, I wondered if I could do it. Brian was waiting on the bridge with the kids. I could see him but I didn't want to look at my watch to see what the time was....
" Run Katie!" Brian yelled
" Run Mommy!" Alaric yelled again as I passed and gave the I love you sign! I looked ahead and could see the timer....31 minutes 55 seconds. Shit, can I do it????
I pushed it and I came in at 32 minutes 5 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way, I beat both jiggly butt and John Deere Hat man!
I'm so proud of us! And so proud of the kids! They rallied and did great!

Grammy and Papa were outstanding supporters, and babysitters too! Thanks Mom and Dad!
We headed straight for pancakes and relished in our first 5K! I asked Bri the other day if we'd stop running for awhile. The answer is no.
We run!
I'll never be a runner but I tell ya, there is pretty great satisfaction in knowing I could actually make it from Thanksgiving to New Years without gaining a pound for the first time in my life just because I run!
Kirby Derby in Monticello in May is next for us! Till next time....

4 comments:

Heather said...

This is incredible motivation for me! I am in tears reading this and am SOOOO proud of you guys. GREAT JOB!!!

Lisa said...

Way to go, both of you! I'm so proud to know you!

The Buehnerkemper Family said...

I knew you'd have your post done already! You are so on top of things! I'm really proud of you & Brian! Great job! You're an inspiration!!!

Mira said...

You ARE a runner! Now I'll just have to convince you to do the triathlon next summer...