Saturday, December 4, 2010

Trimming the Tree- one of my favorite holiday traditions

So after we came in from the snow, we all got into comfy clothes or PJ's and started on the tree. The kids were starving so a special treat of some popcorn was in order.

While we listened to Christmas music, ate popcorn, and sipped on hot cocoa, we planned out how to do the tree!

What usually happens is the kids are actively involved for all of about 2-5 minutes and then Brian and I do the rest while they play but they both stayed totally engaged for the whole time and that was a LONG time! Alaric was given some tough jobs and had to help string the lights with daddy!

Mara couldn't get enough of the ornaments- she loved putting them on the lower branches.

We have hundreds of ornaments...when Brian and I moved in together, my mom collected all my ornaments- every one I had made in school or received and gave them to me for my tree at home. Those were added to the many Chris gave to Brian and our own collection was started. Now, we give our kids one ornament a year signifying the past year and someday we will pass them on to our kids too.


I love looking at each one and this year, Alaric and Amara asked questions about them..."what's this?" "Who made this one?" "How old is that?" "When did I get this one?" It was great.


This is Amara's silver/pearl teether she got from Grammy and Papa on the day she was baptized. Its a rattle and teether thats engraved with her name and baptism date. So beautiful, it now serves as a ornament ( both kids have them).

We dig and sort and hang!

Finally the tree skirt. Ours is just a pretty average skirt however Alaric's first Christmas I decided to trace his hand print and date it on the back of the skirt. We've done it every year since. The kids love comparing their handprints to now.



If you stay up on the blog, you know that I am having Brian do his own advent calendar It's going well and he loves it...as do the kids! Today's read...
and while I wanted it to be a campout for just Brian and I after the kids went to bed, Alaric asked what it said and Brian told him so we was super excited about the campout...so, before bedtime, we gathered pillows and blankets and laid down by the tree for a short campout while we admired our work and read books. It was great!
I probably say it every year but this year I think is the most beautiful tree ever! I love it! What a wonderful evening it was!

No comments: