Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The First Day of December...ooohh the anticipation!

Today is one of my favorite days of the holiday season...the first day of December...the beginning of the hustle and bustle and beginning of all the anticipation. I re-read last year's blogpost and today I'm not as deep as I was last year. I think I'm just tired. Literally and figuratively. I was up until midnight and up again this morning at 4 so I'm exhausted BUT I think what I'm looking forward to this season is some FUN! Some energy, some excitement-we've been so consumed by health concerns these past few months, I'm so eager to put some energy into something else and it's truly the magic of the season and the light I see in my children's eyes!

God was with me this morning as I tried to show my family some magic...we looked outside and there was SNOW! Real stuff that actually stuck and the kids were overjoyed! Then they noticed that something was on the floor in the dining room. It was an empty box to THE ELF ON THE SHELF. the elf got out! Each night, when the kids sleep-he comes alive to visit Santa and tell him if the children were being naughty or nice. Then, before they wake up, he finds a special hiding spot where he can watch the kids all day long. Well, last night he broke out of his box, opened the book and spread it on the ground too AND hid ( do you see him in the very top of the picture peeking out behind the curtain at the top of the door frame?). Guess what the kids named their Elf? Magic...love it!!!
Then, the kids saw their book baskets. Only this time the books were wrapped. Each day before Christmas, they get to unwrap ONE book and read it and then add it to thier other winter/holiday collection books that have been dispersed all over the house for them to enjoy!
Last year we did the advent calendar for the first time and we all loved it. Today, they picked a piece of paper from the #1 pocket and found a clue.
It said to go to the place where the kids keep their undies...
To the bathroom we headed. The next clue told us to find the Chief sign on the beer fridge. Sadly, my kids knew just where to go....
To the bar in the basement....this clue said to go where mommy and daddy get nice and clean each morning. THE SHOWER....
They pulled back the curtain and there it was-their Christmas tree for their bedroom!
Beautiful!
Well, I didn't want Brian to feel left out. He's had such a difficult fall and works so hard for our family, even in pain, and I wanted to do something for him. When I saw this on my favorite blog, Dating Divas- i knew this was my answer.
I made a Christmas Countdown just for Brian. Each day til Christmas he gets to turn over a card. I typed up compliments, things to do together and acts of service and the days and then glued them onto cardstock with cute paper!
Brian, and the kids liked seeing all of them together on the wall in the hallway!
Here's what Day #1 said today....
The kids also discovered other surprises this morning, including all the Christmas DVDs and videos out!
And I made a "sweet" centerpiece last night too....just took my cake plate and 3 unused vases and filled them with ornaments, candy canes, mints, greenery, and some decorative rocks- Ta Da! I think it turned out well!

I hope you are as eager for this holiday season to begin as I am...enjoy it! love it! Hold your kids close and your spouses even closer and focus on your family and the fun-not the stress and the craziness!

3 comments:

The Buehnerkemper Family said...

Oh my goodness - wonder you were up till midnight! You sure did a lot! You are so amazing!

Kristi said...

Love it all!!

Rachel said...

You are an amazing woman Katie! Your family sure is lucky to have you as a wife and mommy. I am going to steal some of your great ideas once I have kids...but I will also have to quit my job in order to keep up! Love you so much!