Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mommy 'n Me time

I'm working two days a week this summer tutoring at St. Matthew. While it's a nice financial incentive, it means I am away from my kids two days a week and I hate it.

As much as I complain at times, I LOVE being a stay at home mom and I truly believe my place is in the home rasing those kids and pretending to care for the home. We are only doing one week of camp for Alaric this summer so the rest of the time is for US and I'm so grateful.

For the past two weeks since Alaric got out of school, we have committed to doing Mommy 'n Me time each morning. Its a half hour with each kid individually to work on something educational or skill building but FUN too. One kid gets to watch a half hour show while the other works with me.

Each child has their own calendar. Alaric's is focused on writing and pen to paper stuff since his fine motor needs some work. We'll also do lots of work with numbers.
Amara is focused on movement and doing stuff. She learns and sings and dances to a song each day, reads a book each day and then does something.
Today, Amara's work was pouring work. Her objective was to carefully pour popcorn from one cup to another. She was SOOOO excited when we got started that she spilled lots ( that's why we have a tray and practice lots!).
She got focused and did it over and over and over and was doing so well, she hardly spilled at all.
So we moved onto water....yup, real fluid. We spilled a few times but she had a towel nearby to clean up her mess. It was joyful to see her progress is such a short period of time.Alaric was working on numbers today. Identifying and writing. His favorite number....4 ( no surprise). We played "war" today with all the cards 2-5 plus face cards. he loved it all!
Some of his practice sheets on writing his name and numbers.
I am SO glad I decided to do this. I'm learning so much about each of them and the uninterrupted time is priceless. The kids can't get enough of it either. Time spent together ( the value we are trying to teach them) is more important to them than any piece of candy or TV show they can watch!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Awesome~ I love this Katie! Great work