Tuesday, June 15, 2010

BIke MS...Day 1, Second Day Ride

The kids and I arrived around 10am at the Tent Village and checked out the Bike MS logo cutout.
We took our spots at the finish line and got out all of our signs and noisemakers and began cheering and cheering for each bike that crossed.

The volunteers were amazing. There were three of four of them who were handing out finishing medals to each biker as they finished. You'll notice in many pictures to follow a man with grey hair wearing a green volunteer t-shirt. He was my inspiration for the day. I watched him over and over and over not just hand out the medal as other volunteers did but rather walk ( or slightly limp) over to each biker he could, wait for their attention, connect with them physically by reaching out and touching them, and give them their medal. Each time, in the same sincere way say " As a person with MS, I want to give you this medal- thankyou for riding" I witnessed him say it a hundred times and many of those times, the bikers were brought to tears by his comment. Others, after a very long day of riding STOPPED, looked and thanked him for his dedication as well. Each time I saw him, I was in awe. Each time I heard his words and then watched him walk away- I knew what Brian was doing was making a difference. I knew the the ride for him started as a physical challenge and became a way of doing something great, helping others, and impacting lives. I knew he was leading by example and making a choice that would make our children proud.

You'll see this dear man in many pictures- just doing his volunteer job, probably not even realizing that his simple words were changing lives, bringing awareness, and comitting bikers to another year of Bike MS.

Within minutes of our arrival at the finish line, my girlfriends Alicia, Rachel, and Molly crossed the line. The kids cheered and yelled and we were all so excited to see someone we knew.
They received their medals...Alicia and Molly's 24 year old cousin has MS- that's why they ride.
Sweet Amara cheered for each biker
Alaric gave Rachel big hugs and told her " Good Job!"
Part of team Lakeview YMCA
The kids and I stayed at the finish line for hours- never a dull a moment
We were so anxious for daddy to arrive. To show him our homemade noisemakers and signs and to tell him how much we missed him and were proud of him.
Part of the tent village
This family struck me- another aha moment that reinforced why our whole family needed to be at Bike MS. Dad was riding, mom and the three kids were there along with grandma and grandpa. The three kids, like mine- had been waiting and waiting forever and were so excited to see their dad. So, when their dad crossed the line, I felt connected. ( see my green guy again?)
I watched the family reconnect and the girls show their daddy thier cute signs they made. When i read what this little girl has written, I again- for the 10th time that day was brought to tears. Her sign says "Dad, what you are doing for mom is great.We are proud that you raised so much money to help research MS. I love you." Then her pictures read " My dad doesn't go by plane or by car, but by BIKE". Her daddy was not only supporting his wife by riding by as a Golden Spokes Rider. This was a very elite group that got to wear very special jersey's because they raised the very most for MS. A Golden Spokes Rider has to be in the top 150 fundraisers out of the 1,700 riders. All raising 10s of thousands of dollars individually.
My little angel had her own very special sign that Alaric made.Then....after waiting and waiting and waiting we saw them...Brian and Natalie were heading our way. The sprinkles were beginning to fall and we were overjoyed to see him.
We were screaming and yelling but as Daddy and Natalie rode up, the kids were in awe- they almost didn't know what to do. So, they fell silent with their big grins and just showed off their signs and noisemakers.
My green guy delivers each of them their medals and makes his quiet impact on each of our hearts.
They did it!
My hero! Love you, Baby!


Is there anything better in this world than seeing the man of your dreams walking side by side with his little girl?
We had lunch and then headed to the tent to clean up. The kids loved every second of our time there. And loved even more that their daddy was with them!And then...the storms came again....downpour. We stood in our open sided tent and wondered how we would get our stroller, two kids, backpacks, cooler, and bike the long distance to the parking lot. And then, another angel in a golf cart came and offered to help. He wanted to get the kids out safely before the lightning started. He took me to my car and let me sneak the van into tent village and get only 100 feet away to pick up the family. As we made the trip to the parking lot, the officials terminated the ride and asked all volunteers to seek safety, including the SAG volunteers who were there to keep the riders safe. My driver, a young man, said there was no way we was going to leave those riders out there in this. They worked too hard to finish without support. A lump in my throat rose. And as we passed the finish line on our trip to the lot, who did I see still handing out medals as he gathered up a few things and made his way inside? My green guy. Handing out just a few more medals to the riders crossing the finish line in the rains. It was as if he just couldn't let them come in alone and without knowing how much they meant to him. Big lump- tears in my eyes. Worth every second. So blessed to have witnessed these angels among us.
I covered the kids with my t-shirts to keep them dry and threw them in the car, literally. Amara was so tired and shaken by the experience but when I asked to take off my shirt, she said no. So, she sat in her chair like this.


The event is over but we are changed. Brian and I are blogging ( click on Racing Home on the right side), we are till talking, and we are loving our memories. Next year, I'm in for the 35miles!!!!
*****
Brian and Natalie crossing the finish line
Amara dancing her heart out as she cheered on the bikers
Our little dance party!

3 comments:

Brian said...

Your recap is so amazing; it brings me to tears. I am so proud of the work that you and the kids did, and I am so excited to hear you say you are going to ride next year! I love you so much!

Kristi said...

That is so awesome! We are glad it was such a powerful day for your whole family!

Rachel said...

Love you Fulton Family! This was such a great day and I loved enjoying it with you. Amara dancing just makes me laugh out loud and I would love a copy of the photo with Alaric and I!