Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Hot Dog Dance...and other simple pleasures

Yesterday was a bad day....it sucked. It was one of those days that I didn't DO much however it just was exhausting and a challenge every step of the way....Brian has been sick for two days and we were trying to stay out of his way. Our house was destroyed because I let the kids run wild. Alaric is going through a very defiant and whiney stage. And Amara, oh Amara...my challenging daughter since her second week of life when the colic set in....she loves me desperately. So much so that if I put her down or leave the room, EVER, she screams! Some days I can ignore it. Others I don't mind giving her the attention. Yesterday I couldn't ignore it nor did I want to give her the attention. After a meltdown on the front lawn with all the neighbors watching, I literally dragged my kids inside and prayed to God (and my neighbor Staci) to just start my day over fresh tomorrow. Thankfully, God does give us a chance to start over and begin again each morning.

This morning, Alaric came bouncing down the stairs with his beautiful smile while I was running on the treadmill. Good Start! Then instead of demanding to be changed and watch TV, he stretched and exercised with me... even better! Then I put him in front of the TV with his juice and snack and headed back to the basement. 2 minutes later I hear "HOT DOG DANCE" at the top of his lungs.

For those who don't have kids under 5, the HOT DOG DANCE is the last 2 minutes of the Mickey Mouse CLubhouse on the Disney Channel. All the Disney Characters finish the show with a dance they ask everyone to help them with. Each morning, our family....all four of us- dance together. We kick and twirl and laugh. No matter what we are doing, we stop just for those two minutes of singing and dancing. It's so fun and both kids just gleam while we do it- it's a wonderful way to start all of our days.

So today, Brian and Amara were still asleep so I went running up the stairs and scooped Alaric into my arms and started kicking and dancing. He put his head on my shoulder and said, " Mommy, I dreamed that you would hold me today" AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Frog in my throat, deep breath, tears in my eyes!

These are the moments we all live for as parents. I'm so thankful today is a new day filled with hope and optimism. I have a little boy who loves to be held, a sick husband who woke up and asked ME how I'm doing first, and a sweet angel who's talking to herself in her crib as I listen to her on the monitor. It'll be a great day!

2 comments:

The Buehnerkemper Family said...

You are such an amazing person, wife, mother, friend... you have such an amazing outlook on life... and I feel so blessed to be able to hear about your life & to have you touch my life in so many ways. Maybe one of these days we can do the Hot Dog Dance together... maybe we could end TMG Mtgs. with it! :) Love ya!

Rachel said...

Oh, sweet Alaric. Luv u katie.