Sunday, April 18, 2010

Alaric makes front page news


Alaric was on the FRONT PAGE of the local newspaper, The Journal Republican, two weeks ago! We are so proud of him.

I wish I could give you the link to read the article but unfortunately, small town newspapers like ours are not on-line.

Here's the gist....

Each year for our kids' birthdays, we do a service project or ask for donations instead of gifts. It's our way of being grateful for our blessings, giving back, and remembering that it's not all about receiving but rather giving, even at birthdays.

After Alaric's b-day party where we raised more than $200 for the local volunteer fire station with a change drive, I sent a picture to the local paper hoping just a picture would get printed showing all the kids at the firestation on a firetruck with the firefighters. The Editor of the paper called and asked to do a story on our family.

It was wonderful. We've had some criticism and skepticism about the choices we have made to give instead of receive at parties over the years and I felt honored to be given the opportunity to share our story, share WHY we do what we do, and truly challenge others to adapt their parties in different ways to include giving, not just receiving.

Alaric has loved his new star status as neighbors, friends, and even the mailcarrier and checkout lady at the grocery store have recognized him and told him CONGRATULATIONS.

It's been fun and was a great experience. Truly though, I hope our family has made a difference and we challenge ourselves to do more each year.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

LOVE this! I think your family traditions that teach giving, as well as receiving are awesome. Congrats Fulton family! Very cool. And Katie, maybe you can help me with some of my publicity. I've yet to land a cover story for any of my clients!

Jenny Murray said...

This is so amazing! I want a copy!!! The Fultons have so much to be proud of and this is one of my very favorite Fulton Family traditions. Congratulations for instilling such incredible values in your children at such a young age!

Kristi said...

Such an amazing family. We are blessed to know you!