Friday, May 8, 2009

Alaric has Asthma

Yup, it's true! Our three year old has asthma! He's had a cough for 6 months...yes 6 months. We've gone to the doctor numerous times in the past 6 months with the assurance it was a virus and to let it run it's course or get him outside in the cool, fresh air to loosen up his chest.

Well, now that the weather's nice, we've been outside for hours each day and instead of it getting better, it's gotten worse. At the May Market a week ago, people were actually staring because he was coughing so much.

So, we went to the doctor again, ready to battle and she listened to my concerns. They don't actually diagnose asthma this young but rather do a test trial with an inhaler. If he does better over a two week period, it's an official diagnosis. If it gets worse or doesn't improve or other symptoms appear, back to the drawing board.

I feel confident however that this is our answer so now I'm the mom carrying the inhaler wherever I go! Wish us luck with this!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm sorry Katie! I hope the inhaler actually solves the problem! Love you!