Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Up to our elbow in poop...and rash!

Motherhood is great and I love my children endlessly but the books forget to mention all the crap- LITERAL CRAP-you have to go through!

Yesterday is a prime example...

Amara has butt issues. She has since she was 3 months old. She is constipated much of the time and it's very uncomfortable for her to pass a poop. Screaming, crying, and what I call "Labor and Delivery" are usually part of her process to feel better. We've been putting Kairo Syrup in her water in the mornings to try and soften things up.

Then there;s Alaric. He went into a terrible constipation when he started potty training which after weeks and weeks, we are still using a daily stool softener and trying to be supportive of him knowing he can't control his bowels with big boy underwear on.

Anyway, back to the story...Bri took a half day and was home for lunch. THANK GOD he was home. When i took Mara out of her chair from eating, she was covered in "wet". Examination showed that she was not constipated at all but rather had had a blow out that caused all her clothes to have poop on them and I actually needed the support of Bri to hold legs while I wiped so we didn't get poop all over the room.

Literally SECONDS after Bri left the room you hear " ALARIC ARTHUR-YOU POOPED". Sure enough, Alaric had had his own blowout. Bri dealt with him getting new undies and pants while I dealt with her. We laughed about it once the kids were down for the naps but it's really not that funny. I would have been COVERED in poop if handling it on my own. How come the books don't have a chapter just on pooping? It's pretty much been the focus of our lives for 2 months.

PLUS- Mara has a rash! Doc says it's just dry skin but it's everywhere on her belly and back and neck and even head. Making another appointment Friday for a second opinion.

THE JOYS OF MOTHERHOOD. Wish I didn't have to have POOP on the brain all the time but I guess I wouldn't really want it any other way.

2 comments:

Monica Ramsey said...

Hi Katie! Monica, here... I check out your blog from time to time linked from The Boyd Blog. I just wanted to pass along two kinds of lotion I've used for my son Braden that often has suffered from really dry skin (that looks like a rash). Daily we use Aveeno's Extra Dry Care which mentions Ezcema (there is a matching bath wash for this too), and for spot control on extra dry patches I use Aquifor Baby, it's not far off from a Vasaline texture - but it totally does that trick for those super dry patches. Back to Aveeno - we love their products - anything else we've used has dried him out and all their products are much gentler.
Good luck and I hope all continues to go well for you!

Monica Ramsey said...

Oh... I meant to be more specific - it's the Aveeno Baby line (they have a regular one too, but we haven't used that). Maybe that seems obvious, but just in case.